Short Question and Answers
- In the fourth century BC the empire of Magadh was greatly expanded under which powerful dynasty?
- Through which accounts we come to know that Nandas conquered all rival monarchs and became all powerful rulers of North India?
- Hathigumpha inscription is associated with which monarch?
- Kharavela ruled over Kalinga in which century?
Ans: IInd century BC
- Where Emperor Chandragupta is said to have lived for many years as a Jain ascetic?
Ans: Sravana Belgola
- A period of 12 years of dire famine the whole of Jain sangha migrated from the north to south under whose leadership?
- Which literary source gives some information of value about the trade between the north and the south in the age of the early Maurayan Empire?
- Who has given the account of the rule of the Pandyan kingdom by Pandala a daughter of Herakles ?
- In which rock edicts of Ashoka the kingdom of south India together with Ceylon are mentioned?
Ans: Second Rock edicts and thirteenth rock edicts.
- Which rock-edicts include the names of Chola, Pandya, Satiyaputra, Keralaputa and Tambapanni?
Ans: IInd Rock edict
- When Kalinga did was conquered by Ashoka?
Ans: 260 BC
- Which edicts of Ashoka prove the inclusion within the Mauryan Empire of the north-west as well as the north-east of the Deccan?
- Which source mentions that the mission had been send after the third Buddhist council at Pataliputra for the propagation of the Dhamma in different countries?
- From which places in farther south Ashokan inscription have been found?
Ans: Raichur,Chitaldurg and Kurnool
- Which of the following ancient place is now known as Kanakgiri?
- Antamahamatras were incharge of what work?
Ans: Defence and missionary work among people.
- Which inscription mentions a league of Tamil states that was 113 years old at the date of the inscription and had been for some time a source of danger to the Kalinga kingdom?
- Which poet mentions that the Kosar started operations against their foes and gained success against many of them?
- The most important records which have a dedication to Jain ascetics by a Chera prince come from which place?
- Which language is employed in the script of Damili records?
- The language employed in the script of Damili records was Tamil but at which place it is in Prakrit?
- A Pallava inscription of the 9th century AD mentions which earliest ruler of Kanchipuram ?
- Which dynasty is identical with the Andhras of Andhrabhrityas in the Puranic lists of the Kings?
Ans: Kushan dynasty
- Who mentions that the Andhra territory in the eastern Deccan as including thirty walled towns, besides numerous villages and as maintaining an army of 100,000 infantry,2000 cavalry and 1000 elephants?
- How many kings have been mentioned in the dynasty of Satvahanas according to Puranas?
- The names of the earliest kings in the Puranic list figure also on inscriptions and on coins are found at which places in Deccan?
Nasik,Karle and Naneghat
- About which Satvahana king Kharavela of Kalinga states clearly that the territory of that Satvahana king lay to the west of his kingdom?
- Who was the first king of Satvahanas?
- Nasik inscription was associated with which Satvahana king?
- Which accounts states that Simuka grew wicked and dethroned and killed?
- Whose figure was sculptured in rilievo at Naneghat along with the figures of his father Simuka,Queen Naganika a maharathi and three princess?
Ans: Sri Satakarni I
- Which source mentions victory of the Sungas over the Andhras?
- Who is described in the inscription of his queen as the lord of Dakshinapatha?
Ans: Satakarni I
- Which king of Satvahana enjoyed the longest reign 56 years and wrested Malwa from the Sungas?
Ans: Satakarni III
- Who was the famous Satvahana king whom Kharavela of Kalinga defied in the second year of his reign by sending a large army of horse, elephant, foot soldiers and chariots to the west?
Ans: Satakarni II
- Which king has compiled the famous literature Sattasai?
- In which language the Saptasati has been written?
- Which Gupta ruler destroyed the Saka power in the west?
Ans: Chandragupta II
- Bhumaka and Nahapana were famous rulers of which satrap?
Ans: Western satrap
- Which was the capital of Natrapana?
- Which Satvahana ruler described as the destroyer of the Shakas Pahlavas and Yavasas?
Ans: Gautamiputra Satakarni
- Which ruler of Satvahanas overthrew Nahapana and minted his silver coins again?
Ans: Gautamiputra Satkarni
- Coins of Pulumayi II are found in which districts?
Ans: Godavari,Guntur and Cuddalore
- Which Shaka king defeated the Satvahana ruler twice and took Aparanta and Anupa from him?
- Which Satvahana ruler coin bears the figure of a ship stating that his power was not confined to the land?
- Which writer names several ports in Maisolia the regions between the deltas of Godavari and Krishna? Ans: Ptolemy.
- In western Deccan which one was the most important port?
- What was the religion of most of the Satvahana rulers?
- Hala’s saptasati opens with invocation of which god?
- Which Satvahana ruler was a great supporter of the Brahmins and tried to emulate the epic heroes Rama,Krishna and Arjuna?
Ans: Gautamiputra Satakarni
- In which text temples to Gauri and also the vrata of fire and water are mentioned?
- Who founded the Abhiras dynasty?
- When Kalachuri or Chedi era started?
Ans: 248-49 AD
- Which Indo-Greek king offered an elephant scalp to Nandivarman II on the occasion of his being chosen for the throne?
- Which dynasty declared its devotion to Kadamba tree?
- Which Pallava king belonged to Bharadvaja gotra and also performed the agnistoma,vajpeya and asvamedha sacrifices and bore the title of Supreme king of kings devoted to dharma?